Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Point of Interest

Register a Marriage

Marriages occurring in WA since 1841 are registered in the Western Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

The Marriage Act 1961 requires the authorised celebrant, within 14 days of the date of marriage, to forward the marriage papers to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages for registration.

Overseas marriages

There is no provision to register an overseas marriage in Australia.

An overseas marriage would be generally recognised as a legal marriage if it is similar in nature to a marriage conducted in Australia. For example, if the bride and groom were both over the age of 18 years, not married to another person and not in a prohibited relationship (ie, closely related).

For further information visit the Smartraveller webpage on overseas marriages.

The overseas country's registry authorities will register the marriage and can provide you with a marriage certificate as proof of the marriage.

The marriage certificate may require an official translation if not in English.

Changing a name after marriage

Visit the change of name section for information on changing a name after marriage.

Privacy & Disclosure of Information

See Privacy and Disclosure of Information webpage.

Contact details

Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
Department of the Attorney General
Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace
Phone: 1300 305 021
Fax: (08) 9264 1599

PO Box 7720
Cloisters Square
Perth WA 6850

Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Last updated: 15-Aug-2017

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | HR Kiosk
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.